Certification Manager Vacancy
Biodynamic Association Certification is seeking a Demeter and Organic Certification Manager
The Biodynamic Association is unique among UK accredited organic certification bodies in that we certify both biodynamic farming and food to Demeter standards, and organic farming and food to organic standards. We pride ourselves on being a small team which is committed to building personal, long-lasting relationships with our licensees, whilst providing a professional and responsive certification service.
We are now looking for a bright, energetic, and ambitious person, who shares our passion for biodynamic and organic food and farming to manage our certification team as we move forward and grow the business post-Brexit. Our successful candidate will relish the detail of certification, have great attention for quality management and the ability to ensure that the organic and biodynamic principles that inspire our licensees inform all aspects of certification.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Right to work in the UK and be able to converse fluently in English
- Practical knowledge of biodynamic/organic food or farming
- Understanding of the principles of biodynamic and organic agriculture
- Skills in quality assurance, small team management, communication and leadership
- A degree or similar qualification in a relevant field
- IT skills (Microsoft Office at a minimum, database and website management are desirable)
- A sense of humour!
The job entails:
- Overseeing the day-to-day certification of Demeter and organic licensees
- Liaising with and reporting to the Certification Board
- Managing the budget, keeping oversight of the finances
- Maintaining UKAS (UK Accreditation Service) accreditation to ISO 17065/2012 as an organic certification body
- Developing quality management systems
- Coordinating the development of standards
- Collaborating with other organic and biodynamic organisations (Biodynamic Association, UK Organic Certifiers Group, UK Certification Bodies Technical Working Group, Demeter International, IFOAM UK, Irish Organic Association)
- Maintaining good, responsive working relationships with DEFRA
- Acting as a spokesperson for biodynamic and organic agriculture and certification
As this is a position that actively works with several different areas of regulation, it is expected that the Certification Manager will possess or develop a thorough understanding of relevant UK, EU and International regulations and standards (ISO 17065/2012, EU and UK Organic Regulations 834/2007, 889/2008, 2018/848, Demeter International Standards and Quality Manual).
This is a full-time position based in our office in Stroud. The Certification Manager must be willing to travel to attend organic and Demeter meetings in the UK and Europe.
Salary: £29 – £32k depending on experience (a pension scheme is also available)
To apply for this post please send a CV and covering letter demonstrating what you could bring to this role to email@example.com
Deadline 30th November 2021 with interviews during the week of 6th December.
For a full job description and person specification please click here:
Processing Inspector Vacancy
Biodynamic Association Certification is looking for processing inspectors to join our team.
We provide Organic and Biodynamic (Demeter) certification for over 300 licensees in the UK.
Inspectors are responsible for visiting licensees across the UK for the purpose of assessing their operation for conformity to Demeter and or Organic Standards
Key tasks are as follows
- Annually organise a tour of Inspections, as allocated by the Certification Office.
- Travel to visit sites across the UK.
- Assess operations for conformity to EU Organic Standards and Demeter standards.
- Obtain from the licensee all relevant evidence in support of compliance required by the Certification Programme.
- Identify any Non-Conformities to the Standards.
- Conduct inspections in a professional & impartial manor.
- Effectively communicate any non-conformities to the licensees at the conclusion of the Assessment.
- Complete a timely, clear and concise inspection report for the Certification Officer which:
- details all relevant information collected at the assessment visit
- Identifies any non-conformity to the Standards.
- Participate in work reviews and annual training days.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
Inspectors must have knowledge of the principles underpinning organic production and an understanding of Demeter and Organic Standards and have the ability to communicate clearly and write clear, concise reports.
To be an effective Inspector, an applicant needs to demonstrate both academic ability and practical experience. He or she must have sufficient maturity to enable them to handle potentially difficult situations and to make important decisions relating both to the integrity of Demeter and Organic Standards and the effect on individual businesses. They should be able to maintain the confidence of the licensees at all times.
Applicants will have a degree in food processing/agriculture or other relevant field. Alternatively, it may be allowable to demonstrate satisfactory ability without such qualification if other aspects are fully met. This might be, for example, where an applicant can demonstrate relevant experience in an appropriate area of work or satisfactory service as an Inspector in a related field. The applicant will have obtained relevant work experience either during or after qualification.
All Approved BDA Certification Inspectors will receive an initial training and subsequently have a working knowledge of:
- Environmental auditing systems as specified in ISO /IEC 19011
- Conformity assessment requirements for bodies certifying processes and services ISO /IEC 17065
- BDA Certification Quality Manual
- Demeter and Organic Standards as specified in the respective Standards
Upon initial commencement of employment with BDA Certification, Inspectors will receive at least two accompanied Assessments which will be carried out with the certification manager, a senior Inspector, Technical or Certification Officer.
On-going training consists of annual Inspector Training Days with all inspectors, the certification manager, Technical Officers and other members of staff (Administrator, Certification and Project Officers) as required. In addition, on-going feedback is given by Certification and Project Officers to inspectors.
Inspectors are deployed under a self-employed contract.
Inspections are payed on a flat rate per inspection basis according the annually issued Inspector Fees document, travel and accommodation costs will be reimbursed.
For more information see www.bdcertification.org.uk
If you are interested in applying please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a covering letter, CV and contact details.
Applications close on Monday 10th January; interviews will be held shortly thereafter.
We look forward to hearing from you.